Is a Plumber Required to Install a Hot Water Heater?
While it’s possible to take the do-it-yourself route to install a hot water heater in your home, it’s a better idea to hire the services of a professional plumber to ensure safety and accuracy. If you don’t know how to complete the job correctly, you could make one of these common mistakes:
- Failing to install a temperature and pressure relief valve. This mistake could lead to uncontrolled pressure and the potential for an explosion that can cause injury or death.
- Installing gas lines improperly. If your water heater uses natural gas or propane, you must ensure the pipes and vents are done correctly to avoid a dangerous gas leak.
- Faulty wiring or using the wrong size electrical breaker. These types of mistakes have the potential to cause electrical shocks or fires.
- Possible leaks and water damage, with the risk of mold and mildew growth.
- Failing to meet the required codes and regulations.
These kinds of mistakes are not only dangerous, but they can lead to extensive damage that takes a lot of time and money to fix. It’s best to call a plumber who can install the water heater for you while following all necessary safety measures and local building and construction codes.
Does Installing a Water Heater Require a Permit?
Port St. Lucie, Florida, like most towns, requires a permit to replace or install a water heater. The need for permits and adhering to the correct codes is for your safety. Plumbing contractors will process the permit applications and also schedule the required virtual inspection on a day that the client will be available and will take care of the inspection usually within 1 hour. The staff there can tell you if any additional permits are required for associated electrical work, plumbing, or gas line work. When you pick up your permit you can also get instructions for your water heater, along with answers to any questions you may have.
Failure to acquire the correct permits could result in fines. The manufacturer warranty on your water heater could also become void if it wasn’t installed according to specifications.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Plumber for Water Heater Replacement or Installation
The exact codes that you must adhere to vary by location, so it’s essential that you understand the requirements. You can benefit from calling a professional plumber to handle the installation for you. Hiring an expert helps you avoid many common problems and take advantage of the following perks:
- Understanding of what permits are needed for installation and obtaining them on your behalf.
- Licensed and trained professionals have the experience to complete the job properly.
- Plumbers already know and follow all the local regulations as well as the manufacturer’s specs.
- Plumbers can do the job safely.
- An expert will inspect all equipment, connections, and materials for condition, safety, and performance.
- A professional plumber can dispose of your old water heater.
Installing or replacing a water heater involves more than swapping out the old one for the new one. You also need a solid understanding of electrical work, and possible gas lines as well. The process is much more involved than most people realize. Making even a minor mistake can lead to damage or serious injuries, possibly even death.
Where to Find Expert Plumbing Services
If you need a new water heater, call the experts at I Need The Plumber & Air Conditioning. We can take care of the installation, along with any other water heater repairs and maintenance you need.
Contact us today to get fast service for all of your plumbing needs.